מוזייעלע פון יידישן לעבן אין דער קאָוונער ליטע
Mažasis žydų gyvenimo tarpukario Lietuvoje muziejus
ESTABLISHED IN 2018 IN HONOR OF THE CENTENARY OF THE RISE OF INDEPENDENT, DEMOCRATIC LITHUANIA IN 1918. Updated 2023
SKIP TO UNDATED SECTION
by Dovid Katz
See also: Yiddish Mini Museum of Old Jewish Vilna
EXHIBITS TO DATE
The 28 October 1919 issue of Kaunas’s Zionist Yiddish daily Di Yídishe shtíme
Postcard of 29 June 1920, from the new Hebrew secondary school in Pónevezh (Panevėžys), received by the addressee, the Jewish Community Council of Utyán (Utena) on 1 July 1920
The purple-ink mimeographed “mass message” (With spaces for details of date and addressee to be filled in by hand) is in Yiddish, saying (here condensed): “Pónevezh, 29 June . To the Community Council of Utyán: We have posted under separate cover some announcements about a Hebrew gymnasium in Pónevezh. We ask you to paste them up prominently and explain to people the importance of the institution. With respect, Hebrew gymnasium, Pónevezh”
Letter in German from Lithuania’s Jewish Affairs Minister Max Soloveichik to his Weimar counterpart
Lithuanian-Yiddish Dictionary compiled by the Brothers Kolodni with Lithuanian language editing by Stasys Dabušis and Yiddish language editing by “D.G.”
Yiddish deposit slip from the Kaunas Jewish People’s Bank
Yiddish-Lithuanian state marriage certificate issued confirming 1922 wedding of Míne Kan and Abromas Simonas Fleišmanas (Avrom-Shímen Fleishman) in Žeimelis (Zeyml)
Š. Vulfartaitė’s shop, on Daukšos gatvę 28 in Kaunas, representing the Riga company “Nova”, issues a receipt to the Boys’ Shelter Society on 23 October 1925. Her bilingual letterhead proudly depicts the silver medal the company won at the 1923 Lithuanian Agricultural Exhibition.
Dovid Lipman’s corner electrical shop, on the corner of Petro St (Yiddish Yátkever gas) and Luksio (Yiddish Vilkomirer), uses Khashmál, the Hebrew word for “electricity” as the name of the business, and boasts a separate section for cosmetics and perfume.
Textbook in Marijampolė (Maryámpl, Márnpol) to teach children Lithuanian through the medium of Hebrew
The Kaunas “Society for the Holy Child Jesus” places its order for apron cloth, oil cloth and canvas with M. Tabatshnik’s dry good store on the city’s central boulevard, in July of 1929.
Postcard on bilingual Yiddish-Lithuanian stationery from the Solsky Brothers and Sh. Kh. Broyde in Kazlų Rūda (Kazlove-Rúde) to the Priest of Šeštokai (Shestok)
Kovno Leather Merchant D.L. Lipetz Writes to Son-in-Law Dr. Joseph Britanishsky in London (Leon Brittan’s Father) in 1930
Meyshe writes from Memel (Klaipeda) to his brother Motl in Kharkov (Kharkiv, Ukrainian SSR), with all kinds of family news, musing: “I recently turned 34 and you’ll soon be 33 Our years go by, they run, and the two of us have still built nothing for ourselves, we’re building other worlds, and we’ve forgotten about ourselves.” There is also news of their sister Shéynke who has moved to the Land of Israel…
Bilingual ad cum bill cover of Sh. Abelsky’s “First in Lithuania: Rope Factory & Retail” (workship in Panevėžys / Pónevezh, Plukių St. 27) noting: orders for products from local hemp, linen, white hemp; making rope and materials for fishing nets, reins, traces, engine belts, and homemade horse whips. The reverse is an actual bill/receipt, dated 11 August 1931, for an order of 1 kg of string and 1 piece of rope, addressed to Head of the Pedagogical Work Courses.
Mazltof telegram (in modern Hebrew in Lithuanian transcription) from Marijampolė (Márnpol) to Kaunas (Kóvne) wishing the newlywed couple all the best
Kaunas Professor N. Šapira (Chaim-Nachman Shapira) Publishes a Book on Modern Jewish Poems about Vilna
The Gorzd (Gargždai) teacher J.A. Sores writes on 13 Sept. 1937 to Mr. Kopilowitz in Kóvne (Kaunas), at the central office of Yavneh, the Orthodox Hebrew school movement, asking urgently for a teacher, because the town’s Mrs. Mines left to take up a job in Mazhéyk (Mažeikiai). He says a male teacher if possible, but if not then — an experienced female teacher.
The postcard was sent on 13 Sept. 1937 from A.J. Sores in Gorzd (Gargždai) to the central office of Yavneh in Kóvne (Kaunas). Someone has added the words “Teacher Garber” in the upper left hand corner, perhaps indicating to whom the request might be forwarded…
Envelope on trilingual (Hebrew-English-Lithuanian) stationery of letter from Rabbi Yitskhok-Isaac Sher, head of Slabodka Yeshiva in Kaunas (Kovno) to Philadelphia
Lithuania’s Red Cross Committee in Vilnius continues to help Jewish refugees more than a month after the Soviet takeover: Matis Kolinsky’s attestation
Prescription in Ukmergė (Vílkomir) in Lithuanian and Yiddish, issued by Dr. A. Karlinsky for Mrs. Joffe
Yiddish-Hebrew Form for Getting Divorced
Bilingual divorce form, in Hebrew and Yiddish, for both the Rabbi and the Council of the Community, with Lithuania’s state symbol at top