♦ Stand up for Human Rights against the New Far Right
♦ Say no to Holocaust Obfuscation
This site supports:
♦ loyalty to remnant Jewish communities
The site opposes:
♦ the campaign to defame Holocaust Survivors
I A Second Opinion
The first aim, “the call of the hour,” is to provide a Second Opinion to counter the ongoing efforts financed by government and other elites in Eastern Europe to minimize, relativise and confuse the Holocaust. Collectively these efforts constitute the Holocaust Obfuscation movement. It seeks to write the Holocaust out of history as distinct concept (without necessarily denying a single death), and replace it with the “Double Genocide” model throughout the European Union (where it is sometimes known in Eurospeak as “equal valuation of totalitarian regimes”).
The Double Genocide campaign has included: attempts to utterly redefine genocide; painfully absurd accusations against aged Holocaust survivors; tacit encouragement of racist and antisemitic moods, particularly victimising today’s remnant Jewish community in this part of the world; attempts to restrict freedom of debate; state financed campaigns to persuade the European Union to accept the revisionist model, via the Prague Declaration, via a Europe-wide mixed Nazi-Soviet commemoration day, and other mechanisms.
Under no circumstances should citizens of East European nations be held responsible for these campaigns being waged by governmental, media, academic and other elite circles.
II The Holocaust History at Each Locality
A longer-term project is to provide information on the Holocaust at individual locations in the Baltics, rapidly accessed by clicking on a place name (in both alphabetic list form and on a map). These will include detailed memoirs by survivors, many of which have yet to be translated.
First, such place name based facilities enable (a) today’s local residents and (b) people anywhere who cherish their ancestral heritage, and (c) students internationally to quickly access information on the basis of location. Second, it has in the present climate become necessary to give lucid expression to the universality of liquidation of the entire target population that constitutes genocide.
A first draft map for Lithuania appears here, indexed by a listing of place names.
III Litvak Studies and the Yiddish Heritage
The study of the genocide of the Jewish communities of Eastern Europe, and the robust defense of historic truth — and of the waning Survivor community — against the current calumnies, should not deflect from the ongoing need for much more intensive, serious and widespread study of the living language, literature and culture that is left for us and ever-new generations to study, teach and nurture into the future. This is most conspicuously applicable to the Yiddish heritage, which was most severely impacted by the Holocaust, and is today in urgent need of dedicated and wholehearted study, preservation and dissemination internationally. Serious study of this heritage entails study of the Yiddish language aimed at high levels of mastery.
Moreover, the destruction of the Litvak heritage was arguably the most complete in the Holocaust, because: (a) the areas where local Baltic forces carried out much of the genocide had the highest murder rates in Europe; (b) Litvak communities reestablished abroad after the war have been of much lower viability than those carrying forward the southern traditions of East European Jewish culture.
The positive-thinking task before us is therefore clear: the establishment of a viable, robust and intellectually free field of Litvak Studies that will cover with a sense of mission and aspiration to high academic standards the religious, secular, historical, literary, cultural and folkloristic components of Lithuanian Jewry.
- Red-Brown “Platform” Runs Another Double Genocide Conference — in Warsaw…
- Baltic Times: Hitting a New Low with “Paid Advertisement” Advocating Migration of Latvia’s Russian Speakers?
- The Neo-Nazis Hate the Feminists, Too
- Lithuanian Government’s 2013 Vilna Ghetto PR Jamboree
- Israel Chronicle
- Lithuanian Gay League (LGL) Releases Text of Letter on July’s Baltic Pride March
- Estonian Fascist Admirers Preparing Midsummer Waffen SS Fest
- The Homophobic Track Record of MEP Vytautas Landsbergis
- Zeppelinus Images Revealed as Media Claims he is a Government Official
- On the Preservation of Lithuania’s Old Jewish Cemeteries
- Swastikas From Latvia in Center of Šiauliai (Shavl), Lithuania, as Police Look On
- Wikipedia Entry on Seventy Years Declaration Rapidly Distorted
- Reports from Lithuanian Media Claim that Neo-Nazi “Zeppelinus” is Unmasked as — A Government Official!
- Facebook Discussion of 23-29 April 2013 on the May 2013 Global Forum in Jerusalem
- “Rewriting History” on the Road in the USA
- Bloomington-Borns Jewish Studies Arranges for 2nd Soviet-Israeli “Vanity Press Poet” to be “Professor of Yiddish in Vilnius”
- Lithuanian Authorities Continue to Play Games with this Summer’s Baltic Pride, Bringing Potential Ridicule to Launch of EU Presidency
- The Wehrmacht: One of Hitler’s Killing Machines
- UK’s Minister for Europe Refuses to Criticize Baltic Glorification of Nazism
- Seventy Years Declaration (SYD) Website is Launched
- “Mixed” Court Ruling Leaves Uncertainty on Venue for Baltic Pride 2013 Parade in Vilnius
- In Obeliai (Abél) and Rokiškis (Rákishok): More State-Sponsored Glorification of Nazi Collaborators
- Charles Adès Fishman Adds Voice, on Yom Hashoah, to Sutzkever Prize Fracas
- Peter Thabit Jones Issues Open Letter on Sutzkever Translation Prize
- Arthur Dobrin’s Open Letter to Ed Hirsch
- Images from the March 16th 2013 Annual Glorification of Latvian Waffen SS in Riga
- Upside-Down World? Neo-Nazi March Assisted by Police on Central Boulevard, While Authorities Try to Banish Baltic Pride Across the River….
- One-Sided Coverage in the “Lithuania Tribune”?
- Yad Vashem Awards Three Rescuers (Posthumously) in Žagarė (Zháger), Northern Lithuania
- News from Lithuania (11-16 March 2013)
- The Last Public Statement of Former Israeli Knesset Member Marina Solodkin
- Summary Coverage of Neo-Nazi March in Central Vilnius on March 11th 2013
- Believe It Or Not: Lithuanian Parliament Honors Organizers of Neo-Nazi March in Central Vilnius
- Lithuania’s Social Democratic Party Issues Statement Against Neo-Nazi March
- Cameron’s Latvian Liaison, One Woman’s Petition and One SS March
- The Operation Called “Winterzauber” is an Ongoing Tragedy
- Isn’t it Time for the Author of the Myth to Apologize?
- Strength Through Joy “Hitler Youth” Events Sponsored by the City of Vilnius on March 11, 2013
- Latvian Ambassador to the UK Comments on March 16th Waffen SS March in Riga
- 3,000 Participate in “Unauthorized” Neo-Nazi March in Central Vilnius on 2013 Independence Day
- When Cassedy Came to London Town
- Vilnius Street Name Proposed for Rescuer Out in Boondocks; But Please Remove Nazi Collaborators from City Center!
- Background Reading on the Shift in US Foreign Policy on Holocaust Denial from c. 2009
- Letter to the Editor
- Response to Professor Fridberg’s Article
- A Counter-Question to Lithuanian Journalist Artūras Račas
- Evaldas Balčiūnas Remembers February 16th 2013 March in Central Kaunas
- The Real Dope on the February 16 Neo-Nazi March in Kaunas (Kovno), Lithuania
- Tolerance Education? State-Sponsored Commission Uses its Website to Call Holocaust Survivor a “Liar” & to Demand “Apology from Jewish Community”
- Request for an Apology for Disrespect toward Rescuers of Jews and Holocaust Victims